Hilton (All Saints)
HILTON (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Blandford, hundred of Whiteway, Blandford division of Dorset, 7½ miles (W. S. W.) from Blandford; containing, with the hamlets of Aller, Anstey, and part of Hartsfoot-Lane, 730 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated about three miles to the north of the road from Blandford to Dorchester, comprises by measurement 3006 acres, whereof about 300 are woodland, 1300 acres orchards, gardens, and waste, and the remainder arable, meadow, and pasture. The soil is generally heavy, producing excellent wheat; in some parts it is chalk alternated with gravel. Bog-iron, and bituminous schist or slate coal are found in abundance; also good brick clay of a blue colour, in which are oyster-shells nine inches in diameter, large scallop and muscle shells, cornua ammonis, mineralized wood, and a quantity of pyrites. Curious fossils have been discovered in the flint rocks, with some chalcedony and carmelite: on the side of a chalk hill were found the bones, teeth, and tusks, of the mammoth; the bones were of great size, but mouldered on being touched. Specimens of iron-ore, dug at Belchalwel, near this place, have been analyzed, and found to contain four grains of gold in the pound weight. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8. 10. 5.; patron, the Bishop of Salisbury; appropriators, the Dean and Chapter: the great tithes have been commuted for £255, and the vicarial for £100; the glebe comprises six acres. The church is a light and handsome structure in the later English style, apparently replacing one of older date, as the interior contains many details of Norman character; there are paintings of the Twelve Apostles rudely executed on oak panels, said to have been removed from Melton Abbey, in the vicinity. On Bulbarrow Hill, the highest in the neighbourhood, is a circular double intrenchment, supposed to be of Danish formation. Within the parish are some mineral springs, the water of which possesses calcareous and ferruginous properties.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.