UK Genealogy Archives logo

Hermitage

HERMITAGE, a district chapelry, in the parish of Hampstead-Norris, union of Wantage, hundred of Faircross, county of Berks, 4 miles (N. E. by N.) from Newbury; containing 81 inhabitants. The chapel, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, was erected by voluntary contributions, at a cost of £430, and consecrated on the 31st of May, 1839; patron, the Marquess of Downshire. The Dowager Queen Adelaide gave the communion-plate, valued at fifty guineas.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.