Auckland, St. Helen
AUCKLAND, ST. HELEN, a chapelry, in the parish of St. Andrew, union of Auckland, N. W. division of Darlington ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 3 miles (S. S. W.) from Bishop-Auckland; containing in the township of St. Helen (which constitutes only a small portion of the chapelry) 720 inhabitants. At the St. Helen's colliery, numerous ovens are employed in the manufacture of coke for the use of the engines on the Stockton and Darlington railway. Large quantities of coal are sent from the mines in the neighbourhood to be shipped at Stockton and Middlesborough on the Tees. The living is a perpetual curacy, valued in the king's books at £13. 9. 4., and in the gift of the Bishop of Durham; net income, £120. The impropriate tithes, belonging to the landowners, have been commuted for £119. 1. 6., and those of the perpetual curate for £6. 7.; there is a glebe of 23 acres.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.