Hendred, West (Holy Trinity)
HENDRED, WEST (Holy Trinity), a parish, in the union and hundred of Wantage, county of Berks, 3¾ miles (E.) from Wantage; containing, with the tythings of East Ginge and Sparsholt-Court, 320 inhabitants. The parish comprises 1780a. 1r. 28p., of which 178 acres are common or waste land. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8. 19. 9½.; net income, £613; patrons and impropriators, the President and Fellows of Corpus Christi College, Oxford. Adjoining the manor-house of Sparsholt was a chapel of ease, now taken down.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.