HEMPSTON, BROAD, a parish, in the union of Newton-Abbott, hundred of Haytor, Teignbridge and S. division of Devon, 4 miles (S. E.) from Ashburton; containing 747 inhabitants. The parish is situated in a secluded part of the county, about two miles and a half from the river Dart, and comprises by survey 1963 acres, of which 1897 are in a profitable state of cultivation. Excellent limestone is abundant, and two quarries are wrought for burning into lime. Many of the females are employed in weaving serge for the manufacturers of Totnes and Ashburton. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £25. 6. 8., and in the patronage of the Crown; the impropriation belongs to the Corporations of Rochester and Maidstone. The tithes have been commuted for £266, and the glebe comprises 34 acres. The church is a plain neat structure. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.