Helton, or Hilton
HELTON, or Hilton, a township, and formerly a chapelry, in the parish of Bongate, or St. Michael, Appleby, East ward and union, county of Westmorland, 3 miles (E.) from Appleby; containing 271 inhabitants. It comprises about 6054 acres, of which the inclosed land is of good quality; the remainder consists of a common called Brackenber Moor, and of the hilly moors above the village of Hilton. The London Lead Company work mines here, which are very productive, and they have also a mill for smelting the ore, which yields a considerable quantity of silver. The chapel has long been demolished.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.