Hellidon (St. John the Baptist)
HELLIDON (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Daventry, hundred of Fawsley, S. division of the county of Northampton, 5 miles (S. W.) from Daventry; containing 420 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the borders of Warwickshire, and consists of 1478¼ acres. The situation of the village is very high, being more than 600 feet above the level of the sea. The river Leam rises here; and the Cherwell and Nene rise within two miles, the one flowing to Oxford and the other to Peterborough: the parish abounds, besides, in springs of beautiful water. The living is a vicarage; net income, £105; patron, the Rev. Charles Scrafton Holthouse; impropriator, Sir Francis Shuckburgh, Bart. The church is a plain building of the 14th century. In 1618, John Ball bequeathed £100 for the erection of a schoolroom, and a rent-charge of £10 a year towards the support of a master; the school now has an endowment of £20 per annum. There is a Sunday school with an endowment of £5. 15. a year.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.