HEDWORTH, a township, in the parish of Jarrow, union of South Shields, E. division of Chester ward, N. division of the county of Durham, 3 miles (S. by W.) from South Shields; containing 215 inhabitants. This place takes its name from the family of Hedworth, of Harraton, to whom it belonged. A considerable portion of the land was subsequently held on lease by the Stotes, of whose ancient mansion there are still some slight vestiges remaining; and from them the estate descended to the Listers, who have also some freehold property here. About 42 acres of freehold are annexed to the living of Monk-Wearmouth. The village is irregularly built: in the centre of it is a large pond for geese, of which great numbers are kept; and there is an extensive plot of waste ground for the recreation of the inhabitants.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.