HEBBURN, a township, in the parish of Chillingham, union of Glendale, E. division of Glendale ward, N. division of Northumberland, 6 miles (E. S. E.) from Wooler; containing 108 inhabitants. It lies south from Chillingham, and near the extremity of the ward; the surface is hilly, and the soil a rich gravelly loam. There are some remains of an ancient castle, built, and long occupied, by a family which took its name from the village. The estate has been lately purchased by the Earl of Tankerville, and the greater portion inclosed within his park of Chillingham.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.