Heanton-Puncharden (St. Augustine)
HEANTON-PUNCHARDEN (St. Augustine), a parish, in the union of Barnstaple, hundred of Braunton, Braunton and N. divisions of Devon, 4½ miles (W. N. W.) from Barnstaple; containing 626 inhabitants. The parish is bounded on the south by the river Taw, and comprises 3020 acres, of which 186 are waste land or common: the village is pleasantly situated. A pleasure-fair is held at Whitsuntide. The ancient mansion of the Bassett family is still remaining. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £22. 7. 11., and in the gift of Joseph Davie Bassett, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £394, and the glebe comprises 38 acres. The church is in the later English style, with a square embattled tower, and contains some elegant monuments to Sir Arthur Bassett and others of that family, and one bearing the arms of the family of Coffin; there are a wooden screen, and a very curious font. The Wesleyans have a place of worship.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.