Haydon (St. Catherine)
HAYDON (St. Catherine), a parish, in the union and hundred of Sherborne, Sherborne division of Dorset, 2 miles (E. S. E.) from Sherborne; containing 116 inhabitants. It comprises 638a. 1r. 39p., of which about 180 acres are arable, 425 meadow and pasture, 13 woodland, and 19 orchard-ground: stone is quarried for repairing the roads. The living is a discharged vicarage, endowed with the rectorial tithes, valued in the king's books at £5, and in the gift of Earl Digby: the tithes have been commuted for £120, and the glebe comprises 33½ acres. The church is very plain.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.