HAWLEY, an ecclesiastical district, in the parishes of Yately and Ashe, hundred of Crondall, Odiham and N. divisions of the county of Southampton, 5½ miles (S. W.) from Bagshot; containing, with Minley, 847 inhabitants. The church, a very neat edifice in the later English style, was erected in 1838, by subscription, aided by £500 from the Winchester Diocesan Society, and £200 from John Norris, Esq., of Hughendon; it was endowed with £1000 in the three per cents., by the Rev. John Randell, patron of the living, who also presented an organ. There are schools connected with the National Society. A fair for cattle is held on the 8th of November.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.