DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.
UK Genealogy Archives logo

Hawkesbury (St. Mary)

HAWKESBURY (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Chipping-Sodbury, Upper division of the hundred of Grumbald's-Ash, W. division of the county of Gloucester; containing, with the tythings of Little Badminton, Hillesley, Kilcott with Saddlewood and Tresham, and Upton, 2231 inhabitants, of whom 484 are in the tything of Hawkesbury, 3¾ miles (E. S. E.) from Wickwar. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £20. 14. 2., and in the gift of the Earl of Liverpool: the vicarial tithes have been commuted for £350, and the impropriate, which belong to the Duke of Beaufort and others, for £231. 17.; the glebe contains 5 acres. The church has portions in the early and later English styles, and contains the remains of the late Earl of Liverpool, who died in 1828, and of his father, the first earl. There are chapels of ease at Badminton and Tresham; and a school with an endowment of £6 per annum, bequeathed by Daniel Walker in 1734. Hawkesbury confers the title of Baron on the family of Jenkinson, Earls of Liverpool.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.

Advertisement

Advertisement