Haughton-Le-Skerne (St. Andrew)
HAUGHTON-LE-SKERNE (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Darlington, partly in the S. E. division of Darlington ward, and partly in the S. W. division of Stockton ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 1¾ mile (N. E. by E.) from Darlington; containing, with the townships of Great Burdon, Barmpton, Morton-Palms, Whessoe, and Coatham-Mundeville, and the chapelry of Sadberge, 1518 inhabitants, of whom 576 are in the township of Haughton. This parish is situated on the river Skerne, a tributary to the Tees, and comprises 10,215 acres, of which 1903 are within the township; of these latter about 1000 are arable and in cultivation, 839 meadow and pasture, 18 wood and plantations, and the remainder roads and waste. The surface is nearly level, and the scenery, in some parts enriched with wood, is generally of pleasing character; the soil varies from a light gravel to a retentive clay. The village forms one long and spacious street, neatly built, and there are several handsome houses, the residence of opulent families. The Stockton and Darlington railway passes through part of the township for about a mile and a quarter. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £53. 6. 8., and in the patronage of the Bishop of Durham; the tithes have been commuted for £1011. 17. 6.; the glebe comprises 250 acres. The church is an ancient stucture, chiefly in the Norman style of architecture, with a square tower; but it has suffered much from injudicious alterations. There is a chapel of ease at Sadberge. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. Bishop Butler, author of the Analogy, was rector of the parish prior to his elevation to the see of Durham.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.