Hatherop (St. Nicholas)
HATHEROP (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Cirencester, hundred of Brightwells-Barrow, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 3 miles (N.) from Fairford; containing 358 inhabitants. The parish comprises 2000 acres by computation. The soil in some parts is light and sandy, in others a strong clay; the surface is generally level, and the lands are watered by the river Coln. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £10; net income, £274; patron, Lord de Mauley. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1766; the land comprises 300 acres. There is a place of worship for Roman Catholics.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.