HARTBURN-GRANGE, a township, in the parish of Hartburn, union of Morpeth, W. division of Morpeth ward, N. division of Northumberland, 9 miles (W.) from Morpeth; containing 50 inhabitants. This place was formerly called Newton-Grange, and belonged to Newminster Abbey. It was granted by the crown, in 1602, to Edward Corrill and others; and in 1663, Francis Ratcliffe occurs as owner, whose grandson, James, Earl of Derwentwater, in 1715 forfeited this with his other estates, and thus caused it to come into the hands of Greenwich Hospital. The township comprises 1098a. 2p. of rather indifferent land. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £102. 16. payable to the Hospital, and the vicarial for £13. 10.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.