Harrington (St. Peter)
HARRINGTON (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Kettering, hundred of Rothwell, N. division of the county of Northampton, 3 miles (W. by S.) from Rothwell; containing 198 inhabitants. The parish is bounded on the north by the small river Ise, and comprises 2526a. 2r. 30p., of which 430 acres are arable, 64 woodland, and the remainder pasture: limestone is extensively quarried for burning into lime, and for building purposes. The male inhabitants are employed in agriculture, and most of the females in making pillow and frame lace. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £15. 9. 7., and in the gift of the Hon. Charles Tollemache: the tithes have been commuted for £530, and the glebe comprises 19 acres, with a house. The church is a handsome structure, in the decorated and later English styles. A day school is supported by the rector, and Sunday schools by subscription. Harrington gives the titles of Baron and Earl to the family of Stanhope.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.