Hanley-William (All Saints)
HANLEY-WILLIAM (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Tenbury, Upper division of the hundred of Doddingtree, Tenbury and W. divisions of the county of Worcester, 6 miles (S. E. by E.) from Tenbury, on the road to Worcester, viâ Clifton-on-Teme and Martley; containing 136 inhabitants. The parish is bounded on the south by a portion of Herefordshire, and comprises 1180a. 39p., principally pasture and meadow land. The scenery is very bold, and extensive; the Malvern hills, the Welsh mountains, Clee hill, the Wrekin, and the Clent and Bromsgrove hills, may be all clearly seen on a fine day. The living is a rectory, annexed to that of Eastham, and valued in the king's books at £5. 7. 11.: the tithes have been commuted for £155, and the glebe consists of 40 acres. The church, supposed to have been built in 1622, is a small and neat structure, with a wooden spire painted white, and will seat 100 persons: it contains a monument to the memory of the late Col. Newport, of Hanley Court, a handsome mansion in the parish.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.