HANHAM, a hamlet, in the parish of Bitton, union of Keynsham, Upper division of the hundred of Langley and Swinehead, W. division of the county of Gloucester, 5 miles (E. S. E.) from Bristol; containing 1217 inhabitants. The hamlet is bounded on the southwest by the navigable river Avon, and comprises by computation 1212 acres: a quarry, very extensively wrought, supplies the cities of Bath and Bristol with paving-stone. On Jefferies' Hill is Christ-church, a handsome structure in the later English style, of which the first stone was laid on the 28th of February, 1840; Dr. Warneford gave £400 towards the endowment, and the Incorporated Society £300 to provide 540 free sittings. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the Vicar's gift. Tithe rent-charges have been awarded amounting to £195, of which £90 are payable to the vicar.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.