HAMSTERLEY, a parochial chapelry, in the parish of St. Andrew Auckland, N. W. division of Darlington ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 6¼ miles (W.) from Bishop-Auckland; containing 490 inhabitants. The township comprises 3516 acres, of which about 100 are woodland and plantations, 1000 waste or common, and the remainder arable, meadow, and pasture: coal is obtained in the neighbourhood. The village, which is neat, is pleasantly situated on the summit of a steep hill. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of Donald Maclean, Esq., with a net income of £96; the impropriate tithes have been commuted for £83. The chapel, dedicated to St. James, is an ancient building, formerly prebendal to Auckland College. There are places of worship for Baptists and Wesleyans.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.