DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.
UK Genealogy Archives logo

Hampton, Bishop (St. Andrew)

HAMPTON, BISHOP (St. Andrew), a parish, in the hundred of Grimsworth, union and county of Hereford, 3½ miles (S. E. by E.) from Hereford; containing, with the township of Tupsley, 785 inhabitants. This parish, which is bounded on the south by the river Wye, on the north by the Lugg, and on the east by the Frome, comprises about 2614 acres, whereof one-third is arable, and the rest pasture and meadow; the soil is chiefly a rich loam, in some places alternated with gravel, and the surface is generally flat. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £13. 13. 9.; net income, £375; patron, the Bishop of Hereford. The church has been embellished by the rector, the Rev. Henry Huntingford, LL.B., with two finely painted windows in the chancel, an altar-piece of richly carved oak, and a handsome organ.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.

Advertisement

Advertisement