Halstock (St. Mary)
HALSTOCK (St. Mary), a parish and liberty, in the union of Beaminster, Sherborne division of Dorset, 6 miles (S. by W.) from Yeovil; containing 626 inhabitants. The road from Bridport to Yeovil passes through. The parish comprises about 3200 acres, whereof one-third is arable, one-third pasture, and the rest woodland and waste. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of Lord Abinger, with a net income of £100: the tithes have been commuted for £485, and there are 85 acres of glebe.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.