Halse (St. James)
HALSE (St. James), a parish, in the union of Taunton, hundred of Williton and Freemanners, though locally in the W. division of the hundred of Kingsbury, W. division of Somerset, 4 miles (E.) from Wiveliscombe; containing 421 inhabitants. It comprises 1301 acres, of which 59 are common land or waste. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5. 19. 7., and in the gift of Mrs. Frobisher: the great tithes have been commuted for £327. 16., and the vicarial for £135; the glebe contains 4 acres.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.