UK Genealogy Archives logo

Hallington

HALLINGTON, a township, in the parish of St. John Lee, union of Hexham, S. division of Tindale ward and of Northumberland, 11 miles (N. N. E.) from Hexham; containing 105 inhabitants. This place, anciently Haledown, was a possession of Hexham Abbey. It is situated north of the Erring burn, and east of the road from Chollerton to Kirk-Harle; and the estate consists of about 300 acres of land, of which 220 are in tillage, and the remainder in grass. On an eminence called the Mote-Law is a square intrenchment, with a hearth-stone in the centre, upon which beacon-fires were kindled.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.