HALE, a parish, in the union of Whitehaven, Allerdale ward above Derwent, W. division of Cumberland, 2½ miles (S. E.) from Egremont; containing, with the hamlet of Wilton, 305 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £82; patron and impropriator, the Earl of Lonsdale: the tithes were commuted for land in 1811. The church, which has a small tower and spire, stands at a short distance from the village. Freestone and limestone abound.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.