Hadleigh (St. James)
HADLEIGH (St. James), a parish, in the union and hundred of Rochford, S. division of Essex, 2¼ miles (W. by N.) from Leigh; containing 366 inhabitants. In the reign of Henry II. a castle was built here by Hubert de Burgh, Earl of Kent, the remains of which are picturesquely situated on the brow of a steep hill, and consist chiefly of two dilapidated circular towers. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £11. 14. 7.; net income, £450; patrons, the Rector and Fellows of Lincoln College, Oxford. The church is an ancient structure, of which the eastern end is semicircular, and in the Norman style. A school is endowed with £781 three per cent. consols.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.