GRINDON, a township, in the parish of Norham, union of Berwick, N. division of Northumberland, 7 miles (S. W.) from Berwick; containing 143 inhabitants. It is situated on the border of Scotland; and in the year 1558 a party of about 1000 Scots, together with some French officers or servants, entered England and began to plunder and burn the country, when they were opposed at Grindon by a strong body of English horse under the Earl of Northumberland and his brother Sir Henry Percy, who obliged them to retire with loss: the Scots, however, afterwards recovered their ground. The township comprises 1213 acres of arable land, 331 of old grass, and 6 of plantation. There are four upright stones in memory of chieftains slain in the battle.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.