Greatworth, or Gretworth (St. Peter)
GREATWORTH, or Gretworth (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Brackley, hundred of Chipping-Warden, S. division of the county of Northampton, 6 miles (N. W. by N.) from Brackley; containing 184 inhabitants. It comprises 808 acres of land. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £9. 0. 5., and in the patronage of Mrs. Dyke; net income, £291: the glebe consists of 46 acres, with a house. The church is a neat edifice, with a square tower: the nave is newly built; the chancel is of the 13th century, with a window of rude work: there are several monuments, among which is one to Charles Howe, Esq., author of Pious Meditations, a work noticed by Dr. Young. The Wesleyans have a place of worship.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.