Gravenhurst, Lower (St. Mary)
GRAVENHURST, LOWER (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Ampthill, hundred of Flitt, county of Bedford, 3 miles (E.) from Silsoe; containing 50 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 1200 acres, of which 800 are arable, 300 pasture, and 100 meadow, all in one freehold farm; about 100 acres are a rich alluvial soil, and the remainder a fertile clay. A few of the inhabitants are employed in the straw-plat manufacture. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £7. 12. 11.; net income, £243; patron, the Lord Chancellor. The tithes were commuted for land and corn-rents in 1820; the land consists of about 40 acres, and a good glebe-house has been lately built. The Countess de Grey, and Trinity College, Cambridge, are entitled to a portion of the tithes. The church was erected by Robert de Bilhemore, whose armorial bearings are displayed on the porch, and to whose memory there is a tomb.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.