Gransden, Great (St. Bartholomew)
GRANSDEN, GREAT (St. Bartholomew), a parish, in the union of Caxton and Arrington, hundred of Toseland, county of Huntingdon, 7¼ miles (S. E. by E.) from St. Neot's; containing 622 inhabitants. The parish comprises 3360 acres, of which 515 are common, and the remainder arable; the soil in the lower lands is loam, resting on gravel or sand, and in other places clayey. Ironstone is found in some parts; and throughout the parish are scattered many diluvial remains, consisting of primitive and secondary rocks, numerous fossils, mineralized wood and vegetables, and the vertebræ of the ichthyosaurus. An inclosure act was passed in 1843. The village is situated on the declivity of a hill at the southern extremity of the parish. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5. 7. 3½.; net income, £200; patrons and impropriators, the Master and Fellows of Clare Hall, Cambridge. There is a place of worship for Baptists. A school was built by subscription in 1664, and endowed under the will of the Rev. B. Oley, then vicar, with £20 per annum.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.