Goring (St. Thomas à Becket)
GORING (St. Thomas Ã Becket), a parish, in the union of Bradfield, hundred of Langtree, county of Oxford, 6Â¼ miles (S. by W.) from Wallingford; containing 971 inhabitants. A priory of nuns of the order of St. Augustine was founded in the reign of Henry II., and dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary; the revenue at the Dissolution was valued at Â£60. 5. 6. The village stands pleasantly on the east bank of the Thames, and commands some fine views of that river: in 1837 an act was passed for building a bridge, which has been completed; and a station on the Great Western railway is situated in the parish. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, Â£146; patron and impropriator, C. W. Gardener, Esq. The tithes were commuted for land in 1809. The church, anciently the church of the priory, is in the Norman style, with a massive tower; the roof of the belfry is finely groined: a north aisle, in the later English style, has been added to the original building. There is a small chapel attached to the Alnutt almshouses at Goring heath, to which a chaplain is appointed by the trustees of the charity, by whom it was endowed. The Independents have a place of worship. In 1724 Mr. Alnutt bequeathed an estate, among other purposes, for apprenticing children of the parishes of Goring, Cassington, Checkendon, Ipstone, and South Stoke; the income is about Â£450 a year, for which they are educated, partly clothed, and apprenticed. The Ikeneld-street here crosses the Thames into Berkshire.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.