ASKHAM, a parish, in the union of East Retford, South-Clay division of the wapentake of Bassetlaw, N. division of the county of Nottingham, 2¾ miles (N.) from Tuxford; containing, with Rockley hamlet, 288 inhabitants. The parish contains about 1440 acres: the surface is undulated, and the soil clayey; the village is skirted on the north by the stream called North Beck, which is subject to inundations after heavy rains. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed, with that of Stokeham, to the vicarage of East Drayton: two acres of land, and the tithes of hops, form the principal value of the curacy. There are almshouses for six widows.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.