Glen Magna (St. Cuthbert)
GLEN MAGNA (St. Cuthbert), a parish, in the union of Billesdon, hundred of Gartree, S. division of the county of Leicester, 6 miles (S. E.) from Leicester; containing, with the chapelry of Stretton Magna, 833 inhabitants, a few of whom are employed in the manufacture of stockings. The Leicester Union canal passes through the parish. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £12. 14. 2.; net income, £217; patron and impropriator, Sir G. Robinson, Bart. The sum of £30 per annum, arising from lands originally bequeathed by William Hobson, and exchanged for others under an inclosure act in 1760, is applied to the relief of the poor and to parochial uses.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.