Gidley (Holy Trinity)
GIDLEY (Holy Trinity), a parish, in the union of Oakhampton, hundred of Wonford, Crockernwell and S. divisions of Devon, 8¼ miles (S. E. by E.) from Oakhampton; containing 182 inhabitants. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £14. 19. 0½.; net income, £72; patron, the Rev. Thomas Whipham. In the reign of Henry II. the family of Prous had a castle here, of which there are still some remains.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.