Geldestone (St. Michael)
GELDESTONE (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Loddon and Clavering, hundred of Clavering, E. division of Norfolk, 2¼ miles (N. W. by W.) from Beccles; containing 386 inhabitants. The parish is bounded on the south by the navigable river Waveney, which separates it from the county of Suffolk; and comprises 820a. 2r. 2p., whereof 404 acres are arable, 400 pasture, and 14 woodland. There are an extensive brewery and a malting establishment, from which is a small cut to the Waveney. Geldestone Hall is a handsome residence: in digging its foundations about 80 years since, a Saxon ornament of pure gold was discovered. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £6, and in the patronage of the Crown: the tithes have been commuted for £168, and the glebe comprises 14 acres. The church is chiefly in the later English style, with a circular tower of earlier date, and has an ancient font curiously sculptured.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.