Gatcomb (St. Olave)
GATCOMB (St. Olave), a parish, in the liberty of West Medina, Isle of Wight division of the county of Southampton, 3 miles (S. S. W.) from Newport; containing 306 inhabitants. The parish comprises much pleasingly diversified scenery, and from various points are interesting views: stone of excellent quality for building is quarried. Gatcomb Park, the seat of a branch of the ancient family of Worsley, of Appuldurcombe, originally of Worsley, in the county of Lancaster, is a handsome residence. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £25. 18. 9., and in the patronage of the University of Oxford, in trust for the principal of St. Edmund's Hall; net income, £646. The church has a square embattled tower crowned with pinnacles, and contains a figure carved in wood, supposed to be the effigy of its ancient patroness.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.