Garton-upon-the-Wolds (St. Michael)
GARTON-upon-the-Wolds (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Driffield, wapentake of Dickering, E. riding of York, 3 miles (W. N. W.) from Driffield; containing 563 inhabitants. The parish comprises by computation 4050 acres, chiefly arable, and partly the property of Sir Tatton Sykes, Bart.; the soil is various. The village is neatly built, and the surrounding scenery is pleasingly enriched with wood. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5. 6. 8., and in the patronage of the Crown; impropriator, Sir T. Sykes; net income, £125: the tithes were commuted for land in 1774. The church is an ancient edifice, with portions of modern date, and retains some interesting details of Norman character. There is a place of worship for dissenters.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.