ASHTON, WEST, a tything, in the parish of Steeple-Ashton, union of Westbury and Whorwelsdown, hundred of Whorwelsdown, Whorwelsdown and N. divisions of Wilts; containing 307 inhabitants. A church was consecrated in Oct. 1846; it was built and endowed by Walter Long, Esq., who is patron, and is a simple yet elegant structure, conspicuous in every direction. The tithes have been commuted for £410 payable to the vicar of the parish, and £3. 15. to the rector of Trowbridge.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.