Ashton-Under-Hill (St. Barbara)
ASHTON-UNDER-HILL (St. Barbara), a parish, in the union of Evesham, partly in the Upper division of the hundred of Tewkesbury, but chiefly in the hundred of Tibaldstone, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 8 miles (E. N. E.) from Tewkesbury; containing 342 inhabitants, and comprising about 1300 acres. The living is annexed to the vicarage of Beckford, and the impropriation belongs to W. Wakeman and J. Blackburne, Esqs.: the tithes were commuted for land and a money payment, under an inclosure act, in 1773.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.