Furtho (St. Bartholomew)
FURTHO (St. Bartholomew), a parish, in the union of Potters-Pury, hundred of Cleley, S. division of the county of Northampton, 2 miles (N. N. W.) from Stony-Stratford; containing 16 inhabitants. This parish, which comprises 486 acres, is intersected by the road from Stony-Stratford to Northampton. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £7; net income, £141; patrons, the Principal and Fellows of Jesus College, Oxford. The Roman Watling-street passes along the south-western boundary. On the glebe-land of Cosgrove, in the parish, is a gravel-pit, in which skeletons have been discovered, supposed to have been buried during the war of the 17th century.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.