FROOME-VAUCHURCH, a parish, in the union of Dorchester, hundred of Tollerford, Dorchester division of Dorset, 7½ miles (N. W. by W.) from Dorchester; containing 180 inhabitants. It is situated on the river Froome, near the roads from Dorchester to Yeovil and Crewkerne, and comprises 614a. 3r. 7p.: there are quarries of a yellowish sandstone, which is used for building. The living is a rectory, with that of Batcombe united in 1772, valued in the king's books at £7. 11. 0½., and in the joint patronage of the Duke of Cleveland and the Dowager Countess of Sandwich. The tithes of the parish have been commuted for £170, and the glebe comprises 50 acres, with a small house. The church is a very ancient structure, in the early Norman style. George Brown, in 1774, gave a rent-charge of £21 for teaching children. At the junction of four roads, near a ford across a rivulet that falls into the Froome, is a spot called Tollerford, distinguished as having given name to the hundred, and which had anciently a chapel.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.