Frisby-on-the-Wreak (St. Thomas à Becket)
FRISBY-on-the-Wreak (St. Thomas Ã Becket), a parish, in the union of Melton-Mowbray, hundred of East Goscote, N. division of the county of Leicester, 4 miles (W. S. W.) from Melton-Mowbray; containing 429 inhabitants. It comprises 1412a. 13p., of which one-fourth part is arable, and the remainder pasture. The soil near the river Wreak is a rich black loam, resting on gravel alternated with sand, and in other parts is mostly a strong clay; the surface is generally hilly, except in the vicinity of the river. In the village is an old stone cross. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at Â£7. 16. 8., and in the patronage of the Crown; net income, Â£180; impropriator, Lord Scarsdale: the tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1760. The church, which is very ancient, is in the early English style, with fine antique windows, and contains 350 sittings. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. Mrs. Judith Briggs in 1718 left 48 acres of land, the rent of which, Â£68, is divided among aged females.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.