Frilsham (St. Frideswide)
FRILSHAM (St. Frideswide), a parish, in the union of Bradfield, hundred of Faircross, county of Berks, 7 miles (N. E.) from Newbury; containing 182 inhabitants. It comprises 876a. 30p., of which 636 acres are arable, 60 pasture, 80 woodland, and about 100 waste; the surface is varied with gentle undulations, and the soil is partly clay, and partly sand alternated with chalk. A small stream flows through the parish, abounding with trout. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £8, and in the patronage of Mrs. Floyd: the tithes have been commuted for £188, and the glebe comprises 29½ acres. A school is endowed with the interest of £200, bequeathed by Mr. Hayward.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.