ASHTON, a chapelry, in the parish and union of Oundle, hundred of Polebrook, N. division of the county of Northampton, 1½ mile (E. by N.) from Oundle; containing 172 inhabitants, and comprising 1308a. 3r. 20p. It is situated on the right bank of the river Nene, and is intersected by the road from Oundle to Peterborough. A school was erected in 1708, by Elizabeth Creed, under the will of her daughter Jemima, who endowed it with land producing £44 per annum; it has also a fund of £200 in the three per cent. consols.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.