Foulness (St. Mary)
FOULNESS (St. Mary), an island and parish, in the union and hundred of Rochford, S. division of Essex, 9 miles (E. by N.) from Rochford; containing 674 inhabitants. Its circumference is about 20 miles, exclusively of a tract called the Saltings, not yet embanked from the sea. Courts leet and baron are occasionally held by the lord of the manor; and there is a fair for toys on July 10th. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £15; net income, £300; patron, G. Finch, Esq. The church, nearly in the centre of the island, was formerly a chapel, in which a chantry was founded by Isane, Countess of Hereford, for a priest to perform religious offices for the inhabitants, who, on account of the floods, were frequently prevented from attending their respective places of worship on the main land.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.