Ashprington (St. David)
ASHPRINGTON (St. David), a parish, in the union of Totnes, hundred of Coleridge, Stanborough and Coleridge, and S. divisions of Devon, 3 miles (S. E.) from Totnes; containing 588 inhabitants. This parish, which comprises about 2380 acres, is intersected by the old road to Dartmouth, and washed by the Hareburne and the Dart, which latter river brings up colliers and coasters. Ochre and iron are frequently met with; and slate, dunstone, and limestone abound. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £29. 1. 8.; net income, £520; patron, the Rev. G. T. Carwithen. The glebe consists of 25 acres.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.