Fontmell Magna (St. Andrew)
FONTMELL MAGNA (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Shaftesbury, hundred of SixpennyHandley, Shaston division of Dorset, 4¼ miles (S.) from Shaftesbury; containing, with the chapelry of Hartgrove, 876 inhabitants. The parish comprises 2853 acres, of which 441 are waste land or common. The cottagers are employed in the manufacture of wire-buttons; and a customary fair is held in the village on the 9th of June, but is growing into disuse. The living consists of a rectory and vicarage, with the living of West Orchard annexed, the rectory valued in the king's books at £18, and the vicarage at £7. 10.; it is in the patronage of Mrs. Salkeld: the tithes have been commuted for £550, and the glebe comprises 30 acres. The church is chiefly in the later English style. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.