Ashover (All Saints)
ASHOVER (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Chesterfield, partly in the hundred of Wirksworth, but chiefly in that of Scarsdale, N. division of the county of Derby, 7 miles (S. S. W.) from Chesterfield; containing, with the chapelry of Dethwick-Lea, and the hamlet of Holloway, 3482 inhabitants. This place, which was formerly a market-town, and, according to Domesday book, had a church at the time of the Conquest, occupies a pleasant site near the rivers Amber and Milntown, and within three miles of the Midland railway. The parish comprises 9700a. 2r. 37p., of which 62 acres are waste; the soil is various, and the lands are in good cultivation. Coal, ironstone, millstone, gritstone, and lead-ore are found; and the Gregory leadmine here, 300 yards deep, is said to have once been the richest in the kingdom, though its present produce is inconsiderable. The manufacture of stockings is carried on to a small extent, and the working of tambour lace affords employment to the greater part of the female population. Fairs for cattle and sheep are held on the 25th of April and the 15th of October. Ashover is in the honour of Tutbury, duchy of Lancaster: constables and other officers are appointed at the court leet of the lord of the manor. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £24. 3. 1½.; net income, £481; patron, the Rev. Joseph Nodder. The tithes were commuted for land, under an inclosure act, in 1776; the glebe comprises 150 acres. The church is a spacious edifice, built in 1419, with a very handsome spire, and contains a Norman font of curious design, and several monuments to the family of Babington. The chapel at Dethwick-Lea forms a distinct incumbency. There are places of worship for Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists; and a school endowed with £23 per annum.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.