Ashmansworth (St. James)
ASHMANSWORTH (St. James), a parish, in the union of Kingsclere, hundred of Evingar, Kingsclere and N. divisions of the county of Southampton, 7 miles (S. S. W.) from Newbury; comprising 1798 acres by measurement, and containing 220 inhabitants. The soil is strong clay mixed with flint stones, and rests on chalk, the district being a portion of the high range of chalk hills which form the northern boundary of the South Downs. The living is annexed to the rectory of East Woodhay: the tithes have been commuted for £371, and the glebe comprises 26 acres.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.