Fillongley (St. Mary and All Saints)
FILLONGLEY (St. Mary and All Saints), a parish, in the union of Meriden, Atherstone division of the hundred of Hemlingford, N. division of the county of Warwick, 6½ miles (N. W. by N.) from Coventry; containing 1030 inhabitants. This place, the name of which is variously written in Domesday book, is supposed to have been the earliest seat of the rich and powerful family of Hastings, who held many offices of distinction during several reigns. The parish comprises 4553 acres of profitable land, enlivened with several streams which rise within the parish, and of which some abound with trout; the surface is hilly, the soil of a sandy nature, and the scenery very beautiful and much wooded. Sand-rock and plum-pudding stone are quarried for the roads and inferior uses. The Coventry and Tamworth road passes through the parish. Fillongley Lodge, with its fine park, is the property and seat of Alfred Ashley Vaughton, Esq. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8. 9. 9., and in the patronage of the Crown; net income, £249. The church is a venerable and spacious structure in the pointed style, but it has undergone so many successive alterations and repairs that little of the original character remains: in the churchyard is the remnant of a cross. The dissenters have a place of worship; and there are two parochial schools, and a Sunday school, the last lately erected by J. Johnson, Esq., on a site given by Lord Leigh. In the vicinity of the village of Fillongley are the remains of two ancient castles.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.